Ugoy ng Duyan - Carol Banawa

My friend asked me, "What is it with Aquinos that they are reverred as heroes?" I was confronted with this question when I attended mass wearing a yellow shirt. Yellow is my favorite color, so was the former lady President Cory Aquino, who paased away a few days ago.

The question was a realiztion for me that not a lot of people understood the sacrifices that a mother had gone through with the loss of her husband.

There are a lot of Filipino people who were hurt with the loss of madam Cory. Who wouldn't? My nephew, Second Year in high school , 13 years of age, proudly told me that Cory was not supposed to be a President.

I agree with him. Cory could have chosen to stay in the house, unite her family and be a mother, and a father, after the assassination of Ninoy. Imagine the difficulty of bearing the loss of your husband, that same person you promised to be your husband in sickness and in health... never knowing that assassination did them part.

I was confronted with a question of which I had so much to answer but I asked my friend, "Had not Cory confronted the wrath of Marcos, who would have dared?" In this world of selfishness, in the world of family first, this world of convenience... who would have gone out of their comfort zone and faced the ordeal of a Martial Law and got the backing of the people power?

It was a plain housewife, it was a mother, who bravely confronted those hardships. It was not just for the kids, it was not just for the husband, it was for the entire nation. That was Cory Aquino, and that is her up until her death. She never gave up. She didn't tell herself "Enough is enough! Enough suffering for my family and my kids. I just want to stay in the house and take care of my kids who were robbed of their father." She did the unthinksable! She fought for the people, she fought for freedom.

If you are a mother, would you have done the same thing?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


LYRICS OF THE SONG WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATION
UGOY NG DUYAN - (Ugoy is swinging, Duyan is a Hammock)

Sana’y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw (I hope the old days won't change)
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni nanay (When I was still a child in the arms of mother)
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni inang mahal (I want to repeat the song of mother, so lovely)
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako’y nasa duyan (Song of love while I was in the cradle)

Sana’y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw (I hope the old days won't transform)
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni nanay (When I was still a child in the arms of mother)
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni inang mahal (I want to repeat/hear again, the song of mother)
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako’y nasa duyan (Song of love while I was still in the cradle)

Refrain:
Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing (In my sleep, which is a very sounding sleep)
Ang bantay ko’y tala, ang tanod ko’y bituin (My watcher is a star, my guide is a star*)
Sa piling ni nanay, langit ay buhay (In the company of mother, life is heaven)
Puso kong may dusa sabik sa ugoy ng duyan (My heart that is aching, longs for the sway of the cradle)

Sana’y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni nanay
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni inang mahal
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako’y nasa duyan

Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing
Ang bantay ko’y tala, ang tanod ko’y bituin
Sa piling ni nanay, langit ay buhay
Puso kong may dusa sabik sa ugoy ng duyan

Nais kong matulog sa dating duyan ko, inay (I want to sleep on my old cradle, mother, oh mother.)
Oh! inay

*Tala and Bituin are translated as a star



Check out this link for another variation of this song's translation: Ugoy Ng Duyan - Carol Banawa

Today, i pay respect to the greatest mom this country has ever known Madam Cory Aquino. God bless her soul!

1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    i love this song so much....thanks for the composer Prof. Emeritus/ Lucio San Pedro


Powered by Blogger.