ARAW, GABI - REGINE VELASQUEZ

Here is another song written by the Original Pilipino Music Maestro Ryan Cayabyab. I love it when they call him the Maestro because he has created a lot of beautiful songs for lovers, for youth, for the environment and many more. I think I would spend an entire episode blogging about his songs. 

I have encountered one blog site, which I have posted below because I copied the lyrics from that site. I think, with my revived interest in writing about songs and celebrating Filipino talents, especially the seasoned and most loved artists, I want to learn more about Mr. Ryan Cayabyab.

So here is one song that has kept ringing in my ears. I loved the interpretation of Regine Velasquez for this song. The first time I heard her sang this, I thought it was so familiar until I figured, she revived the song.

Well, my partner is a Regine Velasquez avid fan, and so am I actually, so I was introduced to her version of this song. In my desire to learn about it, I found a Facebook post where Mr. Ryan Cayabyab wished Ms. Regine Velasquez a happy birthday. Ryan revealed this: "Araw, Gabi. I wrote this for my wife Emmy on her last birthday as a single person before we got married. We recorded it and gave away 45s during our wedding. Nonoy Z originally and beautifully sang it. But you know what? In its 33 years as a song, it has never attained the popularity that it has reached now. And it is all because of you. You sang it...oh so beautifully, and suddenly it has become an anthem for singers who are in love."

The Maestro said it himself. This version of Regine is really very lovely!

Now to my own translation of the song:
ARAW, GABI (Day, Night)
by Regine Velasquez

'Di biro ang sumulat ng awitin para sa 'yo (It is not a joke to write a song for you)
Para akong isang sira-ulong hilo at lito (Like a crazy person, dizzy and confused)
Sa akin pang minanang piyano tiklado'y pilit nilaro (With my inherited piano, I played hard with its keyboard)
Baka sakaling mayroong tonong bigla na lang uusbong (In the hope a tone would suddenly pop up)
Tungkol sa anomang kayang awitin para sa 'yo (About anything which I can sing for you)

'Di biro ang gawing sukat ang titik sa tono (It is no joke to blend the measure of lyrics with tone)
Sampu man aking diks'yonaryo (I may have ten dictionaries)
Kung ang tugma'y 'di wasto (If the rhyme is not right)
Basta't isiping 'di magbabago (Just think it will not change)
Damdamin ko sa iyo (My feelings for you)
*There is a twerk of the syntax here so it to become more sensible in English language, this part of the song meant: "Just think that my feelings for your will not change"

Araw-gabi nasa isip ka (Day-Night, you are on my mind)
Napapanaginip ka kahit sa'n man magpunta (I dream of you no matter where I go)
Araw-gabi nalalasing sa tuwa (Day-Night I get drunk in happiness)
kapag kapiling ka (as long as I am with you/beside you)
Araw-gabi tayong dal'wa (Day-Night the two of us)

Biruin mong nasabi ko ang nais kong ipahatid (Imagine I have said what I wanted to express)
Dapat mo nang mabatid laman nitong dibdib (You need to know the contents of my chest)
Tila sampung daang awitin (It's like ten hundred songs)
Natapos kong likhain (I wanted to creat)
Ito ang tunay na damdamin (This is the real feeling)
Tanggapin at dinggin (Accept and Listen)

Araw-gabi nasa isip ka (Day-Night, you are on my mind)
Napapanaginip ka kahit sa'n man magpunta (I dream of you no matter where I go)
Araw-gabi nalalasing sa tuwa (Day-Night I get drunk in happiness)
kapag kapiling ka (as long as I am with you/beside you)
Araw-gabi tayong dal'wa (Day-Night the two of us)

(Tagalog lyrics copied from http://ryan-cayabyab.blogspot.com/2007/03/araw-gabi.html)

========
On a personal note, I would like to say that we Filipinos really do love music. It is not only our past time, it is already part of our life as it runs through our veins.

I love singing Regine Velasquez songs when I was younger and sober. Aging would make you lose your golden voice, you know. So I just sing duet with Regine when I am driving in my car and no one else is listening, except my partner. We sing with her together when we travel the earth together.

This is a love song created by a song writer. If you pursue the desires of your heart, one can be so creative. One could come up with a song with just the sound of one note. A poet could create a poem entry with just one word. That is how powerful love is. We become creative, we become a better version of ourselves. 

So more about Filipino songs in my future posts.
If you want me to translate a tagalog or Filipino song, just comment below.

"Til next entry...

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.