Tie A Yellow Ribbon - Rony Orlando and Dawn

There is a tremendous call for unity at least in prayers for the wellness of the Philippine's "champion of democracy" and symbol of "people power", the former President Corazon C. Aquino. The story of her battle against cancer has always been in the front page of news papers and news online especially in our country.

I am blogging about this song because during Marcos era or right before the "dictator" was ousted through the people power, yellow has been the color of the country. This is the symbol of the First Lady President of the Philippines. Incidentally, yellow is my favorite color, that's the reason why I also love this song.

I am saddened that the former President has to suffer from the big C... but on the other hand, I am thinking that somehow, in her pain or in her loneliness, she is anticipating for her reunion with his deceased husband Ninoy Aquino, a former Philippine Senator who was assassinated as soon as he came back from exhile. I see this couple as a symbol of humility who knew how to use the power in their hands not to amass wealth or to abuse their power unlike the politicians of the present time.

To our beloved former President, hang on there. Rest assured that you will always be remembered as the champion of our democracy, the lady President who rose to power because of the people's love for democracy and for you, not because you cheated. You were cheated on but the people backed you up. That is your legacy... your legitimacy! As a self-professed feminist, I honor you and admire you for that. I was barely 10 years old when I was confronted with the wrath of martial law and the subsequent events that placed you in power and the other obstacles to your presidency.

Now there is another battle in your life and we are one with you in prayers. I honor this President and may God be with you and God bless the Philippines.

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do
If you still want me
If you still want me

CHORUS

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me? (still want me)
If I don't see a ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree

Bus driver, please look for me
'cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison
And my love, she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free
I wrote and told her please

(CHORUS)

Now the whole damned bus is cheerin'
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons 'round the ole oak tree

I'm comin' home, mmm, mmm


Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Tony Orlando and Dawn

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.