Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

The Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler)

It must have been cold there in my shadow
To never have sunlight on your face
You were content to let me shine, that's your way,
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
While you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name -- for so long,
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle, 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it
I would be nothing with out you.

Fly... fly... fly away, you let me fly so high.
fly... fly... so high against the sky
So high I almost touched the sky.
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you,
the wind beneath my wings.

Today is the first of May. We are celebrating the "Labor Day" here in the Philippines. Everyone in the labor force longs to have a holiday and this is it, this is such a long weekend!

I am writing about this song because for me, it depicts labor - labor of all sorts. I have always wished that someone would sing this for me or someone I would sing it to but no one has yet reached that standard, the standard of being my hero, someone who is really beneath my wings. (I would say my family but that would be my "HEROES") However, I can name two reasons. First, because I haven't really flied like an eagle, I haven't really reached what I wanted to be. I am still longing for so much in my life. I still dream of things which I haven't realized.

Secondly, work is always in progress. I know there are people who are continuously working to be my hero. Little by little, inch by inch, they are nearing that and I would want to thank them for staying with me, for giving me company.

I said to myself once "stay with the one who will never leave me". Who would that be? My answer is MYSELF. Sounds crazy but for me the only real person who knows me best is myself, my keeper, my helper, my guardian, my conscience, my soul, my mind, my body and all the tiny genes in me. I thought since I cannot call anybody my hero, no one calls me their hero (to be worthy of this song), why don't I just call myself, my own hero? I know that's crazy but for now, let me be just that for myself - a HERO!


WIND BENEATH MY WING - Bette Midler

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.