Go the Distance - Michael Bolton


I love the husky voice of Michael Bolton, and once again he proved his soulful singing power with this song.

Last March 30, 2009, I was invited as a Guest of Honor and Speaker to the Graduation Ceremony of my alma mater Embarcadero Elementary School. The subject song was the theme of the 2009 graduates. This was also a memorable event because one of the graduates is my cousin Jason.

I am posting here just a portion of my 3-page speech:
(lights... camera... speak!)"I remember 20 years ago, I was also sitting there, right at this ground. I knew I was happy and it never occurred to me that other people were happier than me –they were my parents. I made it through that first stage of my life and that made them very proud. That day would be one of the happiest moments in my parents’ life. There was a sigh of relief on their part because I graduated from elementary. They are relieved because at my tender and vulnerable age, I survived this stage. They took the risk of letting us go our own way, our own strategy, our own choice!"

Whether we like it or not, we have to go to school. We go to school to learn. That is very, very true! But the fact is: the school is just a fraction of the venues where we could learn -about the world, the universe and anything beyond it. Now the big question is: Is it enough to learn?

Let me share with you the things I’ve learned in school.

In Mathematics: I learned that 1 + 1 = 2, 1 x 10 = 10, 10 x 10 = 100. So one garbage, added to another garbage is equivalent to 2, multiply by 100 becomes 100 garbage!

In Science: I learned that when the rain pours hard, the water will go to the drainage. But the drainage is obstructed because of the garbage we neglect.

In History: I learned that children used to swim in a river because the water is so clear. Nowadays, who would dare swim on the river that has become our garbage bin?

The point I am driving at is this: If we claim to be learned and educated people, then act like one!" (and... cut!)

The speech was too long... and of course this was just a speech but there was a fervent hope that at least half of the audience that day realized my point.

LYRICS OF THE SONG:
I have often dreamed, of a far off place
Where a heros welcome, would be waiting for me
Where the crowds will cheer, when they see my face
And a voice keeps saying, this is where Im meant to be

Ill be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way, if I can be strong
I know evry mile, will be worth my while
When I go the distance, Ill be right where I belong

Down an unknown road, to embrace my fate
Though that road may wander, it will lead me to you
And a thousand years, would be worth the wait
It might take a lifetime, but somehow Ill see it through

And I wont look back, I can go the distance
And Ill stay on track, no, I wont accept defeat
Its an uphill slope, but I wont lose hope
Till I go the distance, and my journey is complete

But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part
For a heros strength is measured by his heart
Like a shooting star, I will go the distance
I will search the world, I will face its harms

I dont care how far, I can go the distance
Till I find my heros welcome, waiting in your arms
I will search the world, I will face its harms
Till I find my heros welcome, waiting in your arms




Go the Distance - Michael Bolton

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.