The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel

I do not know why do I remember addiction when I remember this song. As a young kid, I was exposed to poverty and that would be my basic explanation as to how I came to know about addiction at a young age, living in a rather conservative society like my country.

This is one of the saddest moments of my life when I look to my right, there is drug addiction, and gambling to my left. There was nothing to look forward to, or so I thought because there was no adult around sane enough to talk about life 10 years from then. Of course all other relatives had to go to work so we were left with those kinds of people.

This reminds me of an uncle who kept playing this song with his guitar and he kept singing the part where it says, "li-la-li... li-la-li..." The rhythm was so nice, I thought to myself then. Although it was bad for me to be suspicious, nevertheless I suspected him to be hiding "grass" somewhere in the house. I never really caught him with it but when my mom and dad started quarreling him, all suspicion just came to place coupled those chain of events. I am convinced I was right afterall. Soon, he left.

As I've said this song reminds me of a bad point in my life. As much as I want to forget about it, those memories just fly above my head, like birds, over and over, around and around. I don't have anything against the artists though, in fact, I have learned about their songs which I will be blogging about too, sooner.

Here is the lyrics of the song:
I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest, hmmmm

When I left my home and my family, I's no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station, runnin' scared, laying low,
Seeking out the poorer quarters, where the ragged people go,
Looking for the places only they would know.

Li la li...

Asking only workman's wages, I come lookin' for a job,
But I get no offers,
Just a come-on from the whores on 7th Avenue.
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there.

La la la...

now the years are rolling by me, they are -[rockin evenly]-
i am older than i once was
and younger than i'll be that's not unusual.
no it isnt strange after changes upon changes we are more or less the same
after changes we are more or less the same

Li la li...

And I'm laying out my winter clothes and wishing I was gone,
goin' home
Where the New York City winters aren't bleedin' me, leadin' me,
goin' home.

In the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down or cut him
'Til he cried out in his anger and his shame
I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains.

Li la li...


The boxer - Simon and Garfunkel

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.