From Here to Eternity - Michael Peterson

SECRETS TO A LONG LASTING RELATIONSHIP

Forever began the moment they said their "I do's".  It was 1972 and I watched their love grow through the years and the tide.

Love is foremost, learning to love yourself, as the famous line from a Whitney Houston song. My mother never ceased to improve herself as a public servant. My father improved his craft as a businessman. They are two busy people caught by cupid's arrow and 45 years later, they still love each other.

So what are the secrets to this long lasting relationship?

God is Love
My mom and dad's relationship is anchored in God's love.  They taught their children to give praise to God.  We go to mass every Sunday and pray the Rosary every night. We do that a lot.  It is true that God is love. Because of this, they are respectful to each other.

Partnership
My parents were busy in their respective careers. But that didn't prevent them from seeing their children grow normally as possible. Whenever one is away on a business trip, the other would stay behind to watch over us. At times when they cannot avoid being away together, they commission a relative or trusted neighbors to take care of us.

We are not well-to-do family but through their industry, they managed to pull us all through college.  Looking back, they tell us now how difficult their life was when four years in a row, their four children went to college. They were in great debt back then but their great partnership, cooperation and collaboration, we survived.  All their children now are good in their own respective careers and family life.


Generosity
If there is one thing that I am glad I learned from my parents, that would be their generosity. They are generous not only with money, but also with their talent and time. They give money in churches, help our neighbors or relatives in need. In fact, they sent four of my cousins through secondary school.

Despite earning their respective salary / profit, they share their money with each other. Their generosity in talents extend to their involvement in the community. My dad helps in fixing street lights in the barangay or any other way he could help. My mom, being a government employee, renders overtime work for free.

Orderliness
One such important value they have is putting things in order. They prioritize their affairs and activities. They taught us orderliness through cleaning our rooms, closets, the house in general, inside and out.

Our daily routine upon waking up is to fix our bed. We were made so independent that we took turns to perform chores such as marketing, cooking, dish washing, cleaning, laundry and others.  My sister and I, having been taught as women, we should know all the household chores, do the laundry. Laundry back then was so difficult, using mechanical pumping water, without washing machines and fabric conditioners.

These times that our parents are both aging, it is impossible to believe that my dad washes clothes for my mom. With the benefit of washing machines and water from the faucet, my dad could easily perform the task that my mom really hates to do.  Another thing that my mom loves so much in my dad is his use of Del Forever Joy and Love Fabric Conditioner.  Mom loves the scent of their clothes, which makes her hug my dad even more because Del Forever Joy and Love now has 15x longer lasting bangooooo vs a regular detergent brand based on consumer test in Metro Manila.

As her way of reciprocating dad's laundry, mom cooks their food, garnished with so much love as well.

This November marks the 45th year of their marriage.

Those are my parents' secret to their long lasting relationship.  And as I was listening to my music player, I heard this song...

From Here to Eternity

I did everything I could to get you here tonight
Without telling you why
Now girl if you only would please hold out your hand
And just close your eyes
I've been dying to ask you this one burning question
Will you be mine

From here to eternity
I'm asking you to share your life with me
Now and forever I guarantee
I'll always stay by your side
I promise my love to you
I'm willing and able and ready to
Whatever you need I am here for you
And I'll always be
From here to eternity

Well, I saved a year for this ring
I can't wait to see how it looks on your hand
I will give you everything that one woman needs
For a one woman man
I'll be strong, I'll be tender
A man of my word, and I will be yours

From here to eternity
I'm asking you to share your life with me
Now and forever I guarantee
I'll always stay by your side
I promise my love to you
I'm willing and able and ready to
Whatever you need I am here for you
And I'll always be
From here to eternity

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.