Candle in the Wind - Elton John

I have been out for a while. First off, my paternal grandmother died. While I was reminiscing the events when my "lola" (Filipino word for grandmother) was still alive, I just can't help but remember one of the most tragic deaths that the entertainment and political world had seen. The tragic death of Princess Diana.

I have always admired her, not because she had a fairytale-like wedding but because she is a woman of strength. As a self-professed feminist, Diana or Princess D is really a woman one could admire from the heart. We all know her story and I will always remember her as the most "photographed" personality.

What made this song special to me is the singer. Elton John is a great singer! His voice never fades and when he sang this song to Diana, it was like a fairytale to me. My most-admired woman and my singer-idol were together on a scene albeit one is dead, the other is teary-eyed singing his song.

That's why I will always love music because people would come and go but music will always give us comfort. They bring back memories.

I always love to sing this song and when I do, I always remember Princess D. For the rest of the story of this song, here is Elton John's lyrics:

Goodbye England's rose
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart
You called out to our country
And you whispered to those in pain
Now you belong to heaven
And the stars spell out your name

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And your footsteps will always fall you
Along England's greenest hills
Your candle's burned out long before
Your legend never will

Loveliness we've lost
These empty days without your smile
This torch we'll always carry
For our nation's golden child
And even though we try
The truth brings us to tears
All our words cannot express
The joy you brought us through the years

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And your footsteps will always fall you
Along England's greenest hills
Your candle's burned out long before
Your legend never will

Goodbye England's rose
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart
Goodbye England's rose
From a country lost without your soul
Who'll miss the wings of your compassion
More than you'll ever know

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And you footsteps will always fall you
Along England's greenest hills
Your candle's burned out long before
Your legend never will


I wonder who else remembers a person when they hear a particular song? If you wouldn't mind, I would truly love to get your story behind your favorite song.

:-) til next entry!

2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I always am reminded of different people and moments by the songs I listen to. My ipod is full of songs from moments and people like those you are describing. That is the only music I like to listen to. The words have to reach out to me. If you want more details I would love to send you a story of a song from my life. I never thought to make a a blog about it but kudos to you. This is a fabulous idea. Looking forward to reading more posts.
    -Carla @ www.fabulousmommy.com


  2. SongDiary Says:

    Hello fabulous. Thanks for taking time reading and posting your comment. What would life be without our songs and music... You can post your story here, anytime.


Powered by Blogger.