Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire - Nat King Cole

It's Christmas! I wanna share with you my most favorite Christmas song.


Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos.

Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe
Help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow
Will find it hard to sleep tonight.

They know that
He's bringing lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh
And every mother's child is gonna spy
To see if reindeer really know how to fly.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you.

I got the lyrics from this site: http://www.christmas-songs.org/songs/chestnuts_roasting_on_an_open_fire.html


I love the classy way it was sung but the most memorable interpretation that keeps ringing in my ears is that of Karen Carpenters. I love her singing.


When I was little, I remember asking my mom, "What is a chestnut?"

Having been living in the province, 200 kilometers from the Capital City, I do not know what is a chestnut. During that time, I knew this thing - the chestnut - could only be known in Manila, not in the provinces, never in my hometown. When I finally got the chance to celebrate one Christmas with relatives in Manila, I got to see chestnut, not taste it.

I know we cannot afford to buy that thing or probably it was not an important food during Christmas eve, at least here in the Philippines. I remember seeing the way they cook it in a very big pan, which was very oily with tiny pieces of charcoal, I think. I am not really sure what was that thing they placed in the pan together with the nut.

Eventually, when finances of the family was leaning positive, my mom, whom I always begged for chestnut, finally bought home a bag of the nut one evening. I remember how excited I was to see it, taste it, savor it. That was Christmas and that was the very reason why I love this song.

Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Holidays to all!

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.