THROUGH THE BARRICADES - Spandau Ballet


Different times entail different concerns, different problems and obstacles.  There is one just one problem among youth common to yesteryears and today: drug addiction.
I have been blogging about drug addiction and its sad effects to the person himself, to the family, society and to the country.  As an advocate against illegal drugs, I attended the first Anti-illegal drug summit in our community.  It started with a motorcade that commenced from the far-flung places up to the town plaza.  There were a lot of participants and not much worry about crowd control because the same activity was participated in by law enforcers.  A velvet rope was of course prepared to the guest of honor and speaker who was a doctor and talked about his experiences with a person undergoing rehabilitation.
The summit proceeded in the convention hall of one of the hotels here in the province.  Barricades  were readied at the parking lot where court confiscated illegal drugs were to be burned or destructed.  It destruction / burning was headed by prominent politicians and social transformers of the society.  The said activity was covered by the local media.
At the end of the day, I was half happy because that social gesture of destroying illegal drugs means a step has been taken by out political leaders.  I was half happy because I was also reminded of how destructive these illegal drugs were especially that I know of someone, close to my heart, who was a victim of the acts of a drug addict.  There are also news about heinous crimes committed by drug addicts.
I am leaving with you today a song Through the Barricades because regardless of the proliferation of illegal drugs in our society, we are here today to combat this menace in our society.  The victims of illegal drugs are taking a stand, a firm stand to step on these dreaded elements of criminalism.

Lyrics of the song
Spandau Ballet


Mother doesn't know where love has gone,
She says it must be youth that keeps us feeling strong.
See it in her face that's turned to ice,
And when she smiles she shows the lines of sacrifice.
And now I know what they're saying as our sun begins to fade,
And we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Father made my history,
He fought for what he thought would set us somehow free.
They taught me what to say in school,
I learned it off by heart but now that's torn in two.
And now I know what they're saying in the music of the parade,
And we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Born on different sides of life,
But we feel the same and feel all of this strife,
So come to me when I'm asleep and 
We'll cross the line and dance upon the streets.
And now I know what they're saying as the drums begin to fade,
And we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Oh, turn around and I'll be there,
Well there's a scar right through my heart but I'll bare it again.
Oh, I thought we were the human race but we were just another borderline case,
and the stars reach down and tell us that there's always one escape.
Oh, I don't know where love has gone,
And in this troubled land desperation keeps us strong.
Friday's child is full of soul,
With nothing left to lose there's everything to go.
And now I know what they're saying,
It's a terrible beauty we've made,
So we make our love on wasteland and through the barricades.
And now I know what they're saying as our hearts go to their graves,
And we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.