Leaving on a Jet Plane - John Denver

I am aware that there have been many versions of this song and the latest was that version used in the movie Armageddon.  I watched that movie and I should admit, I cried at its ending.

I grew up hearing this song as sung by John Denver.  I may be younger than his generation but I love his songs.  As a kid, I couldn't see myself as "leaving on a jet plane" simply because I am afraid of heights.

I fear heights especially boarding a plane due to movies showing planes that crash and other natural calamities that strike air crafts.  I was afraid of the thought that I may not survive a plane crash or I may be a crash magnet. (Silly me!) Well, maturity brought me opposite convictions in life. In fact, I have prepared myself of death. Funny!

Hey, one can't help but repose your life to the aircraft and to the pilot who directs the plane during voyage to the skies.  It is like religion. "You commend your spirit into your God."

Those were my thoughts when I boarded the plane.  "I am prepared", I told myself.  However, seated beside me is my sister.  I know her thoughts are different from mine leaving behind her 3 kids.  As a mother, one can't help but miss your children and think of them when you're gone.  Silly me really for thinking thoughts like these when we were en route the Land of the Merlion.  However, as sister passengers in a plane, we did not talk about the worst scenario.  We enjoyed the view above the clouds. We read the magazine and see photos of tourist spots in Asia and the Philippines. We talked about the activities of our fellow passenger regardless of their sex or color or race.  We slept.  I read my law book.  As a passenger of the plane, I diverted my attention to those activities and did not bother to think of the worst scenario.

Well, to end this entry, I finally took the step to board an airplane and one thing that played on my mind was this song.  It helped me eliminate my childhood fears on flying in the plane.  Thank God!

Til next entry.
=======================
Lyrics of the song
Leaving on a Jet Plane

All my bags are packed I'm ready to go
I'm standin' here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin' it's early morn
The taxi's waitin' he's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could die

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

There's so many times I've let you down
So many times I've played around
I tell you now, they don't mean a thing
Every place I go, I'll think of you
Every song I sing, I'll sing for you
When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

Now the time has come to leave you
One more time let me kiss you
Close your eyes I'll be on my way
Dream about the days to come
When I won't have to leave alone
About the times, I won't have to say

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

0 Responses
Powered by Blogger.